Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: My Palmdale times equal what at sea level?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member JRSCGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    246
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey mino, if my memory serves me correctly, don't you have a built engine with a lowered compression ratio? That would definitely hurt your times, with the lowered compression. Ever get your dynos to improve? I know one guy that ran at pomona with the base 8 psi Greddy kit, got a 14.4 on 17 inch wheels, but I've heard that pomona(which is not that great of a track) is leagues better than Palmdale. Try some stickier tires, and if you want to cure the wheel hop, get the energy suspension engine mount inserts. Just be prepared for feeling like your car is going to fall apart as it vibrates when you're stopped, it's pretty bad.

    Jon

  2. #2
    MINO
    Guest MINO's Avatar

    Post

    DAMN. Some people have a great memory.
    I just recently removed that motor and replaced it with a '00 with 4000 miles. The KG set-up really sucked. #1 had 12% leakage, 165 compression all around, 20W50 racing oil that would disappear after 2000 miles. Unusually noisy even with Arias pistons. I wanted to start fresh so my brother found me a motor for real cheap.
    I only got 1 run in so I know it'll take some experience with the current set-up. I've never liked Palmdale (especially the first 60') and have always struggled with traction. At least I wasn't the DRAG turbo'd
    B16A civic making 16's.

    Thanks guys.

    ------------------
    HAWAIIAN BUILT...BUT
    ...STUCK IN L.A.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member JRSCGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    246
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not a bad job then, considering the guy with the DRAG was running 16s. Palmdale does suck crap though, last time I went with some friends, the track wasn't even cleaned, there were like small pebbles and sh!t all over the first 60'. Looking at your 60' times though, they can defintiely improve with maybe some drag radials, or just practice. Are you using the stock clutch still? I've heard that there are some weak spots in the Greddy kit, and it's in the downpipe specifically and the restrictor that resides in one of the intercooler pipes(not sure why it's there). You should look into getting a 3" downpipe made, running into either a straight pipe or 3 inch cat and a custom 3 inch exhaust, that would improve response tremendously. Most Greddy kits with intercooler seem to be dynoing at around 230hp with the stock downpipe, so I'm sure you could hit 250-260 with a revised exhaust setup mentioned above(this is all with a healthy engine though). Did you give your new engine a compression/leakdown test? It's not always about times at the strip though, especially if you don't practice that much, because that's what it always comes down too. How well you know your car/track, and how well you can drive it. These things only come with practice though, like the guys that can dip into the low 14s with an intake on their R's, practice is everything(not to mention having a sweet ass engine). You can see this with the wide range of times the JRSC turns out, there's guys like Javin and Greg that are in the 13s on street tires, and then there's always the stories you hear about people not being able to control their car and pulling high 14s, low 15s after the s/c.

    By the way, what kind of cars have you encountered on the street with your Greddy Kit? I can get my hands on one with the large intercooler for about 2300 at the moment and was thinking about trying out a turbo too(I've had my s/c for 3 years this Oct already). My friend has one in his stripped 94 GSR, and the thing is pretty fast, I haven't raced him yet though.

    Jon

  4. #4
    Inactive Member registry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2000
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    MINO - You should stick some ES motor mount inserts in your car. It will get rid of the wheel hop and you'll get some nice tight launches. A cheap fix at about $40.00.

    ------------------
    "99" GSR Emerald green sedan-6 psi /JRSC,Walbro 255 lph fuel pump,AEM CAI,Comptech stainless 4-2-1 header,Comptech stainless exhaust,MSD 8.8 ignition wires, power blaster coil and MSD 6AL multi-spark ingnition, Comptech upper strut brace, Comptech integrated 22mm rear sway bar with tie bar, Comptech sport springs,DC short throw shifter, JR btc and map controller, chrome KMC Tarantula wheels on Toyo 205/45ZR 16" Proxes T1S tires, Power Stop cross drilled rotors, metal master brake pads, stainless steel brake lines, KYB/AGX struts, Energy Suspension motor mount inserts, Piaa 1700 plantinum driving lights w/Pia Super whites replacement bulbs,walnut woodtrim interior


    Wing/future dark tinted windows and very proud!

  5. #5
    MINO
    Guest MINO's Avatar

    Post

    I don't know if I should be content or dissapointed with my first run with my greddy kit. Here's the setup:
    96 GSR
    Greddy kit @ .55 kg cm
    stock cat
    apex N1 exhaust
    16/45/205 yokohama Parada's (30 psi, front)
    Nothing removed from car (mats, seats, tools, spare and Infinity Subwoofer)
    Half tank of gas

    The result:
    60 ft - 2.383
    ET - 15.01 @ 93.78

    I wanted real world results (other than the elevation) so I left everything the way it is on the street. I experienced a bit of wheel-hop after every shift. What can I do to fix it.

    Given the conditions, what do you guys think.


    ------------------
    HAWAIIAN BUILT...BUT
    ...STUCK IN L.A.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 1999
    Posts
    795
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, since LACR is 2600' elevation your 15.0 translates to about a 14.6. That's a bit disappointing for an 8psi kit. Your car is capable of quicker times with a 94mph trap speed.

    I do remember running into some JRSC GS-R guys at LACR a couple of years ago and they were running 14.8 @6psi on street tires.

    I think you need an intercooler, some engine mount bushings, (Ask JRCIVIC) and some tuning.

    ------------------
    Marc
    Want to know why I got rid of the JRSC? http://crx.honda-perf.org/horror/jrsc.html

    Coming soon: A new member to the 12 second club.
    burnout1 burnout1 burnout1 burnout1

    AIM=spoolyn

    [This message has been edited by Marc (edited August 01, 2001).]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member registry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2000
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    For the motor mounts to be truly effective, you need to put all 3 of them in. The back one is kind of a pain in the ass but truly worth it in the end. Vibration is minimal.

    ------------------
    "99" GSR Emerald green sedan-6 psi /JRSC,Walbro 255 lph fuel pump,AEM CAI,Comptech stainless 4-2-1 header,Comptech stainless exhaust,MSD 8.8 ignition wires, power blaster coil and MSD 6AL multi-spark ingnition, Comptech upper strut brace, Comptech integrated 22mm rear sway bar with tie bar, Comptech sport springs,DC short throw shifter, JR btc and map controller, chrome KMC Tarantula wheels on Toyo 205/45ZR 16" Proxes T1S tires, Power Stop cross drilled rotors, metal master brake pads, stainless steel brake lines, KYB/AGX struts, Energy Suspension motor mount inserts, Piaa 1700 plantinum driving lights w/Pia Super whites replacement bulbs,walnut woodtrim interior


    Wing/future dark tinted windows and very proud!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member vtecvoodoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The infamous Mino =)

    I`m not a big fan of the Greddy Kit. We threw a Dyno Day at Atomic and Woong only made like 206 or something. It was pretty sad. Pawn that kit off on some ricer and get the drag.

    Ryan

    ------------------
    Mullet sportin cheap beer drinking wife-beater wearin SOB straight outta Orange County
    www.hondaclub.com
    www.KinesisRacing.com

    [This message has been edited by vtecvoodoo (edited August 01, 2001).]

  9. #9
    MINO
    Guest MINO's Avatar

    Post

    C'mon Ryan,
    theres potential for the kit wink. I was going to go with the rev hard kit originally but I just don't have time to find a shop to smog me. Plus I don't feel like shelling out $200 a pop for a hook-up.
    I'm trying to figure out what Greddy did to get their numbers on the dyno @ .55 kg. (probably race gas and ignition advance).
    greddydyno
    When I grow tired of the limitations of this kit I'll move on to something else. I'm going to XS in the following weeks for a new dyno run. We'll see how bad it is.

    ------------------
    HAWAIIAN BUILT...BUT
    ...STUCK IN L.A.

  10. #10
    MINO
    Guest MINO's Avatar

    Post

    Jon-
    Your right about the Greddy kit and it's downfalls. The restrictor is right at the intake filter. I removed it and noticed it causes boost to spike up to .6 kg then flattens out to .55. The downpipe is pretty tiny too.
    My brother tested the engine beforeI recieved it. Compression was a very healthy 215 across the board. Leakage was 1%-0%. My brother was really suprised with the results so he tested it about 4 times just to make sure.
    As for cars that I have encountered-
    SC toyota Solara- Beat him slowly (this was when I was Dyno'd @ 195)
    A lot of GSR's, ITR's, Civics, Mustang GT(previous Gen)
    Just last week I decided to play with a Yamaha motorcycle. It looked like a 600. At first he had a sizable lead but as the speed went up (120-140) I easly passed him. Less notably my 15.0 run was against a Gutted Focus complete with slicks and skinnys and some kind of power adder. He got a 15.2 @ 86.
    I find that a lot of races are over before they begin when the instigater hears the blow-off valve.
    I got the Greddy kit because, I feel, it's right in between the JRSC and DRAG kits. I've driven cars with each kit. If you like the torque and low end of your JRSC you may be dissapointed. But it is a good price.
    What shops do you go to? I haven't found a reputable shop up here so I drive down to Holeshot in Anahiem.

    registry-
    the wheelhop occured only when shifting. The launch was hop-less. And isn't there 1 of the 3 mounts that I can leave stock to relieve the shakes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •